- Designer and supervisor of construction works (buildings, bridges and special structures), in Thessaloniki, since Jan. 1980 (see main projects below).
- Associate in the consulting firm BASIS-SYSM (Thessaloniki), from Nov. 1984 to June 1988. The firm is involved in Structural, Hydraulic and Transportation Engineering Design.
- From Jan. 1993 to May 1995, retained consultant at the same firm, in the design of civil engineering structures (buildings, bridges, tanks, silos, tunnels).
- Since Jan. 1998, consultant of ‘Egnatia Odos AE’, Greece on the design and assessment of bridges in the new 680 km Egnatia Motorway (N. Greece).
- Since March 2000, consultant of DOMI AE (major consulting firm in Athens) on seismic design of special bridges (see below).
- Supervision of construction of 9-storey R/C office building in Thessaloniki (1981-82)
- Member of the design team of 16 railway bridges (with spans ranging from 7.0 to 28.0 m) in the area of Serrai, N. Greece (1984-87).
- Member of the design team of the “ARISTEUS” Hospital in Larissa, C. Greece (1984-87).
- Member of the design team of 36 highway bridges (spans from 6.5 to 36.0 m) in the area of Northern Greece (highway connecting Nea Chalkidona to the border with Yugoslavia).
- Reanalysis and evaluation of load - bearing capacity of an existing four - storey building with cracking problems in Thessaloniki (1992).
- Member of the team of consultants in the preliminary design of the railway tunnel of Tempi, C. Greece (Km 7+215 to 11+145) (1993).
- Design of repair and strengthening of a two-storey building, damaged due to settlement of the ground in Thermi (Thessaloniki) (1993).
- Consultant in the design of the second phase of the wastewater plant of Thessaloniki (tanks, silos and buildings) (1994).
- Consultant in the design of an eight-storey building with two basements in Thessaloniki (1994).
- Consultant in the preliminary and/or final design of 8 railway bridges in Rapsani and Tempi, C. Greece (1994-95), including
> 4 bridges with simply-supported slabs spanning from 10.0 to 11.5 m
> 1 continuous flat plate on piles of a total length of 20.0 m.
- Consultant in the design of the main building of the new mill of ALLATINI S.A. in the industrial area of Thessaloniki (1994-95).
- Consultant in the seismic design/assessment/retrofit of the following bridges in the new Egnatia Motorway (N. Greece):
- Kristalopigi bridge: total length 850 m (east lane) and 637 (west lane); box girder section of the deck, rectangular hollow piers. (1999)
- Metsovitikos bridge: suspension bridge without pylons, 550 m span, anchorage of suspension cables in blocks founded in the rock. (2000-1)
- Arachthos bridge: total length 1036m (spans: 92 : 6´142 : 92m), box girder section of the deck, rectangular hollow piers up to 75m tall, use of hydraulic viscous dampers at the abutments. (2005)
- Consultant in the assessment and retrofit of the following Egnatia bridges:
- Agios Dimitrios underpass: closed frame construction with extensive cracking, for which damage interpretation was made and a retrofit scheme was designed (2000)
- Six bridges in the West Sector (section 1.2.1): portal frame structures with voided slab decks monolithically connected to the wall-type piers, with cracking and durability problems for which damage interpretation was made and a retrofit scheme was proposed (2001)
- Assessment of the problem in the construction or the 3rd segment in the Megalorema bridge: ravine bridge with 11 spans, 35 to 45 m, total length of 483 m, box girder section, rectangular hollow piers, constructed using the incremental launching method (2003)
- Assessment and retrofit proposal (using FRP wrapping) for the multi-column bent of an existing concrete bridge, which will support a new 286m long bridge with a composite deck. (2005-6)
- Assessment and retrofit proposal for the pier M5 of the Venetikos Bridge (of the twin-wall type) to address a problem of inadequate concreting (2006).
- Consultant of ‘Egnatia Odos AE’ on the following tunnel projects:
- Feasibility of using unreinforced concrete as lining of the T1 Tunnel (Part of the Raches-Maliakos Section of the Patras-Athens-Thessaloniki motorway); the report included, among others, a nonlinear finite element analysis of the linings proposed by the Construction Company Hochtief (2010).
- Evaluation of the study of the final lining of Tunnel T2 (Part of the Raches-Maliakos Section of the Patras-Athens-Thessaloniki motorway): the report included linear and nonlinear finite element analysis for fire actions, seismic actions, rock-wedge loading, and accidental hydrostatic loading (2011)
- Re-design of an Egnatia bridge, portal frame type with voided slab deck monolithically connected to the wall-type piers, with 25 m right span and a skewness angle of 58° (jointly with engineer A. Xenos)
- Consultant of DOMI AE in the seismic design of the following bridges:
- Access bridges to the Rion-Antirrion crossing (C. Greece): a series of 14 separate structures, each approx. 100m long, with 3 spans 25 to 40 m, multicell box girder construction of the deck; viscous dampers used as passive earthquake protection. (2001)
- Consultant of DOMostatikeS meletes AE (major consulting firm in Athens) in the retrofit design of the Alexandreion Sports Hall (Palais de Sports) in Thessaloniki; this is a 42 yr. old dome structure covered by a 75.5m diameter cylindrical shell. (2003-4)
- Consultant of METE SYSM AE (major consulting firm in Thessaloniki) in the design of the railway bridge crossing Axios River; 17 spans, with total length of 755 m, 3.60 m box girder section, use of seismic isolation with elastomeric bearing and viscous dampers, hollow circular piers with heights from 21 to 38 m. (2004-5)
- Search Examiner in the European Patent Office (E.P.O.), Directorate General 1, The Hague, Holland, from Sep. 1989 to Sep. 1991. Involved in establishing the state-of-the-art with regard to patent applications in the field of Building Structures.
Typical examples include:
- “Anordnung zur Dämpfung von Schwingungen an Bauwerken oder Bauteilen” (patent application: EP 89112197)
- “Procedé de construction de maisons et d' immeubles anti-sismiques” (FA 422567)
- “Isolateur parasismique pour la construction de bâtiments” (SAE 34199)
- “Structure anti-sismique pour maisons d' habitation” (FA 440860)
- “Modular space framed earthquake resistant structure” (EP 89900158)
- “Bâtiment anti-sismique” (FA 438415)
- “Procedé de construction de logements anti-sismiques et anti-cycloniques” (SA 39820)
- “Shearhead reinforcement” (EP 90309137)
- “Structure couverte en elements prefabriqués” (FA 443440)
- "Isolierte Kragplattenanschlusselement” (EP90104136)
- "Dichtungsvorrichtung für Betonfugen” (EP90117339)
Consultancies in the UK:
- Ove Arup & Partners (London): “Comparison of Seismic Nuclear Building Codes”, Mar. 1996.